Wednesday 19 March 2014

Airport

             He was running late so he bought a flower from one of the airport shops instead of on the way. Mark hadn't seen her in a long time. He kept biting at his nails as he waited sitting at the airport; arrivals from Chicago. He was dressed up a bit more than usual: a white button up shirt, the only one he owned, and black jeans. Two years he hadn't seen or spoken to her. She had run away from him. He searched for her for a while, but figured she didn't want to be found.
           People started to file out of the arrivals. He stood up abruptly when he saw her. At first she didn't notice him standing there. When she saw him, she looked down and walked over slowly. He hugged her. She hugged back tiredly. Handing her the flower, she took it and put it in her bag. Mark took her bag, “Common. Car's this way.”
She looked at him, then followed. Mark saw at her from the corner of his eye. She had changed a lot. Her hair was shorter; it was blond now. Her skin was tanned. “So, how was the flight?”
            “Fine.” she said. Looking out the airport windows.
They went into the elevator. Alone with her finally, he asked, “Why'd you leave, Jasmine?”
            “I didn't want a commitment”
            “You left on the night of our wedding!”
            “I don't think I was ready for it.”
They got to the door. Mark opened it for her, but she went to the next door.
            “Where's the car parked?” She asked.
“Second floor of the indoor parking.” He paused, “How did you find me after so long?”
            “Mark, I've known you long enough to know that you're not one to move around a lot. I bet you're still at the apartment we moved into together when we were dating.”
Mark laughed nervously, “I guess you're right.”
They walked up the stairs to the second floor. The echoes of their footsteps was the only sound. Mark let her get to the door first, but she hesitated and waited for him to open it. Confused, Mark opened the door and let her go first.
            “Here we are.” He said, forcing a smile.
She half-smiled and got in.
Mark got into the car and started it. He sat there for a second thinking of what was happening. Jasmine started to stare at him. He turned to her, “So, what are we exactly now?”
            “I don't know exactly.” looking in the rear view mirror, “But doesn't that excite you?” She said turning to him.
            “I don't know.” Finally looking at her.
He pulled out of the parking spot and started for the apartment. “Why did you decide to come back?”
            "One day I woke up and I told myself “It's time to go home.”” She said.
            “Well I'm happy you're back.” Mark said smiling.
She looked at him. Mark could see a smile creeping onto her face.

           “I guess I am too.” She said and turned on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment